Zafar Nawaz, Ph.D.,
- Fax: 305-243-4787
- Associate Research Director, Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute at Sylvester
- Professor, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
- Senior Associate Dean of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
• Investigation of the underpinnings of gene regulation by steroid hormone receptors and coregulators
• Investigation of the pathobiology of endocrine cancers including Breast and Prostate Cancers
• Investigation of the pathobiology of neuro-genetic diseases including Angelman Syndrome and Autism Spectrum Disorders
• Development of biomarkers for the diagnosis and therapy of neuro-genetic disorders
• Development of novel animal models for Breast Tumorigenesis
Baylor College of Medicine
University of North Texas
University of Karachi
University of Karachi
- E6AP in the Brain: One Protein, Dual Function, Multiple Diseases. Mol. Neurobiol.
- Overexpression of ligase defective E6-associated protein, E6-AP, results in mammary tumorigenesis. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment
- E6-AP Facilitates p300 Recruitment to Estrogen Responsive Promoter to Allow Efficient Transcription. Steroids.
- Link to PubMed publications by Dr. Nawaz.
Dr. Nawaz is an internationally recognized scientist with over 20 years of experience investigating mechanisms of gene regulation by steroid hormone receptors in cancers and neurological diseases. He has authored over 80 peer-reviewed papers in this field of research.
Dr. Nawaz started his career as a Fellow and Assistant Professor in Bert W. O'Malley's group at Baylor College of Medicine, Texas, then as Cancer Center Molecular Biology Core Director at Creighton University, Nebraska. In December 2004, He moved to University of Miami as Associate Professor in the Department Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at University of Miami and Associate Research Director of the BFBCI. In addition, Dr. Nawaz holds a Visiting Professor position at Behua University, China.
Dr. Nawaz has received several prestigious awards and honors. He is a member of several professional societies and serves on the review boards for a number of professional journals and funding agencies.